Around the largest natural waterfall in Belgium and perfectly integrated with the surrounding landscape, the village of Coo is an important recreation centre. The oldest mention of the village of Coo, in the Latin form "collo", dates from 1307.
A mill whose existence is attested since 1483 was fed by the water of the Amblève. In all likelihood, the monks of the abbey of Stavelot would be at the origin of the development of a meander of the river to feed the mill and did not create a waterfall, but it is likely that the water was however sometimes overflowing and spread on the nearby rocks ...
At the beginning of the 19th century, the world was attracted by the waterfall... and the brand! Indeed, Coo was part of the circuit of the "amusements of Spa". Regional tourism was born!
And as early as 1955, at the foot of the waterfall, an amusement park, perfectly integrated with nature, was established. It has continued to renew itself to become today Plopsa Coo. The chairlift is still one of Coo's most attractive activities ... not to mention the kayak.
The village is home to an 18th century church dedicated to Saint André.
Finally, the hydro-electric power plant is a strong economic link for the entire region.Functional since 1973, it is the largest night storage pumped energy storage facility in Belgium. The underground construction of most of the plant's structures has safeguarded the beauty of the natural site.